The building was the Provincial Institute of Secondary Education during the second half of the 19th century and much of the 20th century, being the highest educational institution in the city of Almeria.
The central patio of the school, that belongs to the old Saint Dominic Convent, dates from the 18th century, and is currently an exceptional setting for important exhibitions and cultural activities in Almeria life. The cloister was restored in the 18th century, and the third floor is of recent construction.
In 1841, this building was used for teaching. Reforms were carried out in both its interior part and the facades. They were directed by the architects Guillermo Langle and Trinidad Cuartara.
During the years of the Spanish Civil War, its facilities were used, especially the basements, to establish the city's telegraph station. The first two floors were destined for the Republican side and the third and last for the refugees from Malaga.
In 1951, the School of Arts was installed. In 1989, in the courtyard of the building, the film director Steven Spielberg recorded part of the feature film Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
Museums in Almeria