Building of the shelters began in February 1937, ending in 1938. They consisted of 4.5 Km of underground galleries, from which almost 1 kilometer has been recovered for public exhibition, which follows the main artery of the city: the Paseo of Almeria.
After the Spanish Civil War, the shelters were not used again and the galleries remained unused until December 2006, when the refurbishment carried out by the Almeria City Council and its subsequent opening to the public was completed.
Currently they have recreated various spaces: a storeroom, a private shelter, an operating room, etc. At present they are the largest shelters in Europe that are open to the public.
Museums in Almeria