The Saint James Chuch was founded by the Catholic Monarchs in the year 1494, only 5 years after the conquest of the city. It was later moved to its current location, next to the old Saint Lucy Hermitage.
The new temple was built between 1553 and 1559 in a Mudejar style, then was converted to Gothic style during the Renaissance. The church suffered serious damage during the Spanish Civil War, which destroyed the Mudejar armor and other valuable treasures. In 1931 it was declared a Historic-Artistic Monument of the 16th century.
Museums in Almeria