The Saint John Church was built on the remains of the Old Mosque of Almeria, built by Abderraman III in 965 AD. After the conquest of Almeria by the Catholic Monarchs in 1489, it became the first cathedral in Almeria.
However, the earthquake of 1522 completely destroyed it, and in the 17th century, work on the current St. John Church began on what remained standing of the Old Great Mosque. During the Spanish Civil War it suffered the effects of bombing, and it was not restored until 1979. In front of the Saint John Church, the Mercy Barracks was built, on the grounds of the old mosque of the city.
Museums in Almeria