It is an outstanding example of Neo-classical architecture in Almeria. The church was built between the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century on the ruins of the St. Francis Convent (from the 16th century), which was demolished as a result of the 1790 earthquake.
Its main facade, which is very distinctive, is characterized by a framed portico between two twin towers. The church still preserves a chapel of the old Saint Francis Convent, where the Virgin of Rocio is located.
During the Spanish Civil War, a bomb shelter was built, with a capacity for more than 200 people. During the bombardment, the dome of the bell tower was damaged, but it was restored over time.
Museums in Almeria