We present you the most interesting places to visit in the Bajo Andarax region. Do not miss the places of interest in this area of Almeria.
Virgin of the Head Church
Built in the 18th century on an old Mudejar mosque, the church of Benahadux
was erected in May 1505 under the invocation of the Virgin of the Head and patronage of Saint Joseph.
This church consisted of only one nave, but in the 1940s two side naves were added and the cemetery was abolished.
It is a modern building divided into two floors that spans architectural barriers with entrance and exit ramps, adapted bathrooms, and an elevator. Each of the floors, in turn, houses three exhibition rooms.
On the first floor there is the reception, an audiovisual projection room and an exhibition area where the theme is a journey of the first settlers (Phoenicians, Greeks, Carthaginians and Romans) who came to Andalusia, along with the local Iberians. The area making consists of tour lasting up until the 8th century.
The second floor has three exhibition rooms. The first contains the excavations of “El Chuche” and the different ceramics found in it, as well as the recreation of an Iberian dwelling. The next room shows funerary and religious rites, and the third is dedicated to the friends of the museum, where we hold several exhibitions throughout the year.
Cerro de la Cruz Hermitage
The Cerro de la Cruz Hermitage is a construction that is located on the highest part of a hill of the same name and dates back to the 20th century.
It is a small structure of a plant painted in lime, with a hipped roof and topped with a Latin cross.
It evolved from a layout based on an original drawing by the designer Manuel Prieto Benitez (1912-1991), with changes that aimed to adapt to the system and the construction process. They were built in the workshops of the brothers Jose and Felix Tejada Prieto.
The tower is located on the left side of the entrance. It has a quadrangular plan with a three-sided elevation and an upper top with a small dome.
Given the remarkable size of the building, in addition to being a house of residential size for the owners, it was used as housing for the service workers, and contained chambers and warehouses.
It dates back the late 19th and early 20th century. To the south of the enclosure there are several buildings of modern construction.
There is evidence, although scarce, of a later occupation in Late Antiquity, and it was again occupied and fortified during the Middle Ages, with part of its defenses still visible. In the 13th century a wall was added to its southern side with projecting towers.
It is also worth noting the particularity of the furniture and three paintings of the mayor’s office, as it has both age and value. The building consists of three floors, crowned in its central part by a clock. It has an entrance of Cantabrian style. Each floor exhibits four arches in each of its balconies. It has wooden railings, recently renovated and returning to their original style, as they had been replaced previously by iron railings.
It is located on the Diputation Avenue and it has been given the name of the Quixote roundabout.
Monument to the orange grower
The sculpture is made by the Factories of Fademesa (San Fernando de Henares) and is a work of the sculptor Gonzalo de la Cera, which has been based on a historical photo.
Monument to the Constitution
This monument is erected in commemoration of the Spanish Constitution of 1978.
It is a work by Javier Galan and consists of three pieces: a lady, a child and a book in which you can read articles 2 and 14 of the spanish constitution.
The Spanish flag also rises there.
Huercal de Almeria
This is a church of the Mudejar style from the 16th century.
The Main Chapel is the most important and noble part of the whole construction, not only for the function it performs, but for the coffered ceiling that covers it.
The orientation of the entrance is south and east, since it provides greater insolation in all seasons, and prevents the pernicious effects of the north and west winds. The exterior visual of the mansion is perfectly surrounded by a fence and a cast iron grate.
Ethnographic Interpretation Center
Archaeological site of Bayyana
This Hispano-Arabic site offers great possibilities for studying the knowledge of Islamic urbanism, as it is one of the few examples of a Muslim city.
It is located in the Paraje Marchal de las Herrerias, and its excavations show the existence of two neighbourhoods of Arab origin, one to the north and one to the south. Both neighbourhoods present a residential area and housing with similar characteristics in distribution, materials, construction techniques, and necropolis.
Bayyana Interpretation Center
Our Lady of the Rosary Church
It is interesting to note how, during the rebellion of the Moorish, the churches of our region were burned, except for the Rioja
, possibly because the Moorish population still used it as a mosque.
At the beginning of the 17th century it was repaired, conserving the roof and the rest of the building with lime, tiles, and bricks. Many years later, during the Civil War, the building burned and disappeared, except for the tower that has survived to this day as a silent witness to the history of the village. In October 1956, the church was rebuilt with a vault and a choir. In 1963, it was damaged again and closed until 1969, when it was rebuilt as it appears today.
Orange Interpretation Center
The agricultural history of the region is reviewed through the different types of cultivation and irrigation that have developed in it, making known the historical importance that the orange has had in this municipality and throughout the region.
From this enclave, we can observe magnificent views of the fertile plain of Bajo Andarax.
Santa Fe de Mondujar
Our Lady of the Rosary Church
In the 18th century the extension of its lateral naves connected to the central nave by means of arches, the cover through which they are accessed and the bell tower was built later.
Its last restoration was in the year 1995.
In 1998 its last reform took place, adapting it to the passage of vehicles of all tonnage, widening the track and removing the iron rails.
The old train station was built between 1890 and 1893.
By the station began to pass in 1911 the first electric train in Spain, for which a small power plant was built under the adjacent bridge (Eiffel Bridge).
From this viewpoint you have a fantastic view of the bridges of Santa Fe de Mondujar
It was built in the year 2005.
The Millares Archaeological Site
Currently, the site has a visitor reception center and guided tours can be requested.More info
Virgin of Carmen Hermitage
However, in 1936 the image was burned, but a neighbour recovered the cross, while the current image was donated by the miners of Rio Tinto.
The festival of the Virgin of Carmen is celebrated on July 16, where neighbors walk to her, bringing food and sweets typical of home, who are willing to spend the night. Once there, a mass is celebrated, the image is processed around, and the festival begins.
Our Lady of Anguishes Church
Paleontological Interpretation Center
Virgin of Carmen Hermitage