Virgin of Carmel Hermitage
It is located at the entrance to the town and shows the qubba hermitage model, with a square plan and a half-orange vault as the roof (the square and the circle, the earth and the sky, as elementary geometric shapes).
This hermitage dates back to the 19th century and was built by the workers who were digging the mine to channel the waters of the “La Calderona” fountain, in gratitude for the lack of accidents during the works. In 1891 the railway construction company donated the image of the Virgin of Carmel in gratitude for there being no deaths during the construction of the tunnel.
However, in 1936 the image was burned, but a neighbour recovered the cross, while the current image was donated by the miners of Rio Tinto.
The festival of the Virgin of Carmel is celebrated on July 16, where neighbors walk to her, bringing food and sweets typical of home, who are willing to spend the night. Once there, a mass is celebrated, the image is processed around, and the festival begins.