Cuevas del Almanzora Information
               

Cuevas del Almanzora - What to visit

What to visit


The magical landscapes of Cuevas del Almanzora, together with its proximity to the coast and its historical richness, attract more and more visitors every year, who stop to admire part of the charms of this town. We present the most interesting places to visit in Cuevas de Almanzora.
   
Marquis of the Velez Castle (Cuevas del Almanzora)
 
Within its spaces you can find the Antonio Manuel Campoy Museum, the Archaeological Museum, the Municipal Library, an Exhibition Hall and the Municipal Tourism Office.

It has been declared an Asset of Cultural Interest with a Monument category since 1985.
 
 Go up
 
 
Antonio Manuel Campoy Museum (Cuevas del Almanzora)
 
However, one of its most striking elements is the Goya Room, a place that has a realistic cast bronze sculpture of the head of the renowned painter. There are 69 engravings of two of the most important collections of the famous Spanish painter.
 
 Go up
 
 

Archeological Museum

Archeological Museum (Cuevas del Almanzora)
 
 Go up
 
 

Cave Museum

Cave Museum (Cuevas del Almanzora)
 
 Go up
 
 
Our Lady of the Incarnation Church (Cuevas del Almanzora)
 
The Church occupies the area which formerly was the old Arab Mosque, which was ordered to be demolished in the middle of the 18th century to build the current building. The works of the current building began in 1753 and finished in 1762.
 
 Go up
 
 

Saint Sebastian Church

Saint Sebastian Church (Cuevas del Almanzora)
 
Despite its small dimensions, it is a very attractive and interesting temple. It was built in 1719 by order of Catalina de Aragon and was a private oratory of the School of Christ, a congregation of lay people and religious individuals.

At its entrance, its simple opening stands out.
 
 Go up
 
 

Public Fountain

Public Fountain (Cuevas del Almanzora)
 
The public fountain of the Calvary has been for decades a meeting point of the inhabitants of the town.
 
 Go up
 
 

Saint Francis Convent

Saint Francis Convent (Cuevas del Almanzora)
 
It was built in the mid-17th century under the tutelage of the Marquis of Los Velez.

This religious building served as a shelter for a community of Franciscans, later being the seat of the Immaculate Conception School, and at the end of the 19th century it became the Virgin of Carmen School, run by Dominican friars.
 
 Go up
 
 

Saint Diego Hermitage

Saint Diego Hermitage (Cuevas del Almanzora)
 
Also known as "El Calvario", it was built in 1576 and is located on the hill of Calvario, the highest point of the city and the highlight of the colorful Holy Week of Cuevas del Almanzora.

After a remodeling of the temple and its surroundings at the beginning of the 20th century, the statue of the Sacred Heart was erected, presiding over the square and the viewpoint.
 
 Go up
 
 

Palaces

Palaces (Cuevas del Almanzora)
 
They are considered the highest form of expression of the Spanish bourgeoisie of the 19th century, as well as being significant pieces of architecture of the time.
 
 Go up
 
 
Cuevas del Almanzora Reservoir
 
The reservoir was built in 1986 on the Almanzora river to cater to the 120,000 inhabitants of nearby towns.

Besides offering a wonderful landscape, the reservoir allows the supply of water for consumption and irrigation, and it is one of the favorite places for locals and visitors to practice fishing, especially during the winter.
 
This makes the reservoir an outstanding tourist site, where you can also observe the fauna that feeds animals such as herons, cormorants and ducks.
 
 Go up
 
 

Villaricos Castle

Villaricos Castle (Cuevas del Almanzora)
 
This is a small castle with a horseshoe-shaped floor. The part that faces the sea shows a wall in the form of slope that ends at an angle with the main entrance.

It is eleven meters high with two floors and a terrace closed by a thick wall, where there are a number of "saeteras" and embrasures seen.

The interior has vaulted ceilings on its first floor.
 
After being a military post, it was destined to be a surveillance post for the Civil Guard until its definitive abandonment. At the beginning of the nineties a rehabilitation plan was carried out that tried to turn this historic building back to its original condition. It was recovered and became an exhibition hall and is also a tourist office during the summer months.
 
 Go up