This is one of the most symbolic buildings of Cuevas del Almanzora due to its grandeur, its elegance, and the harmonious balance of its proportions. It is the second largest building in the province of Almeria and was declared a National Historic Artistic Monument in 1983.
What to visit in Cuevas del Almanzora
The parish was erected on May 26, 1505 by Fray Diego de Deza, archbishop of Seville. The Church occupies the area which formerly was the old Arab Mosque, which was ordered to be demolished in the middle of the 18th century to build the current building. The works of the current building began in 1753 and finished in 1762.
The promoter of the work was the Marquis Don Antonio de Toledo, who promoted the construction of the church of Velez-Rubio. The building was built in a baroque and neoclassical style, on its cover, side and main facade. In 1844, a font was inaugurated with the baptism of Don Fernando Alvarez Sotomayor y Flores and was donated by his father. In the transept, two altars were built after the war. On the main altar is a marble, jasper and bronze temple, which surrounds the image of Our Lady of the Incarnation, with a silver crown made in 1857.