We present you the most interesting places to visit in the Filabres-Tabernas region. Do not miss the places of interest in this area of Almeria.
Church of the Annunciation
It is estimated that it was built between 1540 and 1550, on what was an old mosque. Despite the simplicity of the materials used in its construction, mainly bricks, the structure is fascinating with its three naves, its side chapels with arches, the choir at the foot of the temple, its Tuscan pilasters, and the frieze decorated with cherubs.
It is not only frequented for religious reasons, but also for being a fundamental pillar of the history and architecture of Abla
This mausoleum, or funerary tower, from the end of the 2nd century, is the most important testimony of the Roman municipality of Alba (the current Abla
The Roman mausoleum has been included within the framework for protection of the heritage of the Andalusia Council for its archaeological and architectural interest.
The Hermitage of Saint Anton has played an important role in the popular traditions of Abla
since time immemorial, with a marked religious character, manifested in the old Monument of the Holy Sepulchre and in the traditional “Lumbres.” Its importance, apart from its architectural design, comes from being the cradle of ancient popular traditions integrated into the folklore of Abla
The Holy Martyrs Hermitage
The transverse nave houses two chapels, with their respective altars and niches, one dedicated to Saint Segundo and in the other, today unoccupied, Saint Anthony was formerly venerated.
The construction of this hermitage took advantage of the existence of an old cistern.
The festival of the Virgin of Las Maravillas is celebrated on September 10.
The old building was originally located on the outskirts of the town, before its current location, in 1963.
Church of Our Lady of the Annunciation
In 1819, the church suffered a partial fire which forced its restoration in 1828. From the entrance you can see the obvious signs of restoration, except in the tower, which maintains its profoundly ancient appearance.
This church is an important part of the traditions of Abrucena
and is the location for the celebrations of many religious festivals, such as the festival of Saint Joseph, the festival of Corpus Christi, the festivities of La Vega and El Camino Real, and the Day of the Assumption or Day of the Virgin: which is celebrated on August 15 every year.
This hermitage is part of the history of Abrucena
, but it is also of vital importance for locals and visitors. It is a fundamental part of the festival of Saint Joseph, a celebration in which the image of Saint Joseph is transferred from the hermitage, where it rests, to the church. This is done in the middle of a procession in which locals and visitors participate, and it becomes a party that includes a show of lights.
Alcudia de Monteagud
The church, which is still preserved in addition to the tower, the original baptismal font and the relief of the roof, was built in the typical Mudejar style, in honor of the patron saint of the town: Saint Roque.
During the Spanish Civil War, part of the assets of the church were burned, destroying all the historical archives that were sheltered there and the images and paintings that adorned it. After the fire, the structure of the church was partially rebuilt in the year 1950, at which time the Mudejar style roof, full of termites, was replaced by the roof that now shines.
The church is part of the tourist attraction of Alcudia de Monteagud
, and is one of the first places to be visited, given its privileged location at the entrance of the municipality.
For many years it was in disuse, however, its spaces have been recovered as part of the project that seeks to boost tourism in the area, and is currently a site visited by tourists and locals.
It has been possible for the spaces to feel the grain of the cereal again during the summer, resulting in a spectacle that attracts tourists, but which has also enchanted the younger locals who had not seen the process as it was. This was largely possible due to the interest aroused, and was done when it was built, in the year 1894.
In the Tower of Alhabia, finds of archaeological importance have been found, dating from their supposed construction in the 13th century, and which has given vestiges on the way of life of those who inhabited it.
In 2018, the Deputation of Almeria participated in a project to recover the Historical and Cultural Heritage of the province, which included the Tower of Alhabia to be part of a conservation and recovery project, with the minimum invasion of its structure, materials, and original layout.
At present, it is a place visited by those who make historical or archaeological tourism, because at its highest point are carved stones without specified antiquity, but presumably were made by shepherds who frequented the area.
However, the hill is also very visited by hiking enthusiasts, who select this area for its roads and its fantastic view.
Church of Our Lady of Mercy
It is a discreet but beautiful construction, to which hundreds of tourists are attracted, not only to know its architectural and religious value, but also to participate in the festivities surrounding this construction.
It has a simple façade, adorned by a bell tower attached at one end which gives it a sense of great solemnity.
The influence that its construction has can be seen in its structure and in some aspects of its interior since it was built on a mosque from the Nasrid period. Like other Spanish churches, much of the historical archives and paintings that were sheltered inside were devastated during the Spanish Civil War.
It is two “eras” that were public and at some point merged to create a large “era”, in the center of which there was a stone that could never be removed. With the passage of time and after forgetting the practice of threshing, these “eras” became a kind of square or lookout, offering an unparalleled view of the surroundings of the town and from where you can also see the Tower of Alhabia and the Sanctuary of Monteagud.
The Barranquera Water Well
In the middle of the Main Square, with more than a century of life, is this centenary acacia that is considered a symbol of the town.
It is a meeting place for locals and tourists.
It conserves the base of the tower, of rectangular plant and realized in masonry, and two pieces of wall that form an angle on the Southeast side. In one of them stands the remains of a massive tower of small dimensions. It was listed as a Property of Cultural Interest in 1993 and its conservation status is not good, given that it has suffered damage caused by the agricultural machinery of the place.
Church of the Virgin of the Anguishes
Its style at present is Mudejar, with one of its most striking elements being the relief that covers the ceiling and the choir. Both elements give the church a great elegance, which until today was the stage for the religious celebrations of Benizalon
It has a simple facade, accompanied by a terraced tower. The interior of the church, in addition to having a very original and impressive choir, has a major altar that was dedicated to the Virgin of the Anguishes, patroness of the area, and reason for the name of the church.
It also has two smaller side chapels, one built in honour of the Virgin of the Solitude and the other Jesus Nazarene. Although many buildings in Almeria suffered the loss of their historical images and archives in the middle of the Civil War, this church conserves in its interior the image of the Holy Christ, which is very old and venerated as much by locals as by visitors. There are also images of the Virgin of the Anguishes, Jesus Nazarene, and the Virgin of the Solitude.
Virgin of Monteagud Hermitage
Its image, venerated by many of its inhabitants and by hundreds of people from the surrounding villages, is sheltered in a Muslim rabbi or ribat that was called Montahur, and until recently was the centre of a pilgrimage that takes place annually.
Castro de Filabres
Church of the Virgin of the Rosary
This center also has the particularity of being located on an old water reservoir, whose evidence can still be seen, appreciating the channel through which water is still extracted to the outside.
Church of the Annunciation
Hundreds of tourists and locals visit the Church of the Annunciation annually, not only to participate in ecclesiastical acts or to manifest their Catholic devotion, but also to appreciate the Mudejar architecture, the beautiful details of the building and to discover among its walls the history hidden there.
Its emergence, as with other religious structures, is rooted in wars between peoples.
In 1986, a restoration of the building was carried out, but it was careful to be as noninvasive as possible, respecting the details of the hermitage, which has three naves. In the interior are pieces of Islamic plasterwork and an image of the Nazarene.
The Alcazaba has two quadrangular towers, attached to the façade, built with lime and sand, the favorite material of antiquity in this area where it abounded. In addition to its significant connection with the history of Fiñana
, the Alcazaba offers one of the best views of the town, which can be seen from the top of the towers.
The specialization of the Museum of Fiñana is the old photograph, contains more than 1,000 copies that reflect the most recent history of the town, in which the political, religious, and social aspects of a specific time can be observed, as well as views already disappeared of the municipality.
The museum is distributed in different rooms spread over three floors.
Church of Our Lady of Carmen
In 1771, the church underwent a reform in which a new plant was built, the windows were pleased, a large choir was built at the foot of the altar, and the walls were widened.
One of the most appreciated elements of this structure is the Mudejar armor of the roof of the central nave, as well as the choir, located on a higher level. In 2001, work began on the restoration of the structure, and then the wall paintings were discovered on some walls: a painting of the Immaculate Conception, as well as paintings of what appears to be a man, Solomonic columns, flowers, and garlands.
It is a structure built as a defense, with a strategic location in one of the hills that form in the Sierra de Los Filabres
, allowing observation from a high point.
The structure is large - the central building being a square of about 15 meters, which has two lower towers and circular attached to the façade.
Its importance lies in the fact that this castle was one of the fundamental structures in the defense of which Gergal
was a participant against Turkish and Berber pirates who came to the coasts of Almeria to raid, quickly and unexpectedly, looting Christian villages, capturing to its inhabitants and fleeing with important booties.
The castle was the scene of many struggles - until between 1571 and 1620, the area was partially depopulated, after the expulsion of the Moorish. In the 17th century, the castle was rebuilt to boost the repopulation of the area. It belonged to several figures of public life such as the Marchioness of La Torre de las Sirgadas and the Marchioness of La Puebla de Ovando, but it was finally in the hands of the State, who declared it alienable and was auctioned publicly in 1972, passing into the hands of a particular. Despite being private, the castle was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 1985.
It is a construction of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
It began in the year 1880 and, due to problems related to the land necessary for its lifting, was delayed for about 28 years.
It was completed in 1908 under the direction of the Engineer D. Jose Molero Levenfeld.
Saint Sebastian Hermitage
Las Tres Villas
It is a rectangular church, built in masonry with plaster.
The Church is under the invocation of Saint Theresa.
It is a rectangular church with a gabled roof and a lateral façade and a bell tower that protrudes in height behind the façade.
This Church is under the invocation of Saint Bernard.
Lucainena de las Torres
Church of Our Lady of Montesion
From any part of the town, you can see the high-rise tower, attached to the church. During the Civil War, it suffered the same fate as many churches in Spain, and the original ecclesiastical figures who were there were burned. It is said that the only surviving image was that of Saint Ana, so the inhabitants decided to hide it in the vicinity of Lucainena de las Torres
and rescue it once the Spanish Civil War ended.
“El Poyo de la Cruz” Viewpoint
It is a balcony that allows you to enjoy magnificent panoramic views of the town, as well as the old windmill.
The walk offers a wonderful view, a unique landscape, steep and valleys and water mills, which make this walk a very natural option, so it’s a great option for cyclists and hikers.
Considered one of the most important tourist sites and historical sites of Lucainena de Las Torres
, the Mining Trail is a series of places where spaces, machinery, and locations used by ancient mining are found. The most recognized are the Mining “Coto” and the Mining Station. To know them, you only need to make a fantastic trip in which children can even participate. The starting point is the entrance to the town, from where you can see the signs to take any of the three trails that will lead to knowing the path: The Mining Trail, The Green Way, and Path of Small Route of the “Marchales”.
It's about nine ovens. Eight are located next to each other, while the ninth is located much further away, near to “Colmenillas”. Although the state in which they are found is not optimal, it is still great evidence of mining life and a site that receives hundreds of tourists every year.
Church of Our Lady of Sorrows
The interior predominates in this construction, with its vault so high that it gives way to light, which matches the light colors of the church, as well as the embossed walls, which attract the attention of those who visit it.
Many tourists also visit the church during the traditional festivities of the town, when the church is one of the main protagonists.
Caves of the Rock of the Virgin
It is a large building with three floors, with a gable roof and difficult access, fortress type. It was built between the end of the 16th century and the beginning of the 17th century.
It is also known as “House of the Duke of Gor”, because it collected the tithe for the Lord of Gor.
Olula de Castro
Our Lady of Patrocinio Church
The Town Hall is installed in a white house, with the characteristic red roofs, surrounded by flowers and with the clock greeting those who decide to pass.
It is where almost all the traditional religious festivals of Senes
are held, and it has a list of religious images, historical archives, and accessories that are of great value for the parish and the parishioners.
Tourists can enjoy this walk, where you can see an old water mill that, despite the passage of time, remains in good condition.
Currently, it is not in good condition and the structures act as retaining walls of the land.
Church of the Incarnation
There we find the main altar, which attracts the attention of those who arrive at the parish, as well as the altar to the Virgin of Carmen, built on Italian marble and the Chapel of Pray, where the body of Our Lord Jesus Christ is found.
It was rebuilt by Fray Juan de Portocarrero, after having suffered a fire that caused significant damage. However, at present it is one of the best-preserved and most beautiful churches in the province.
In 1522 an earthquake severely damaged the structure, which then rebuilt by King Charles V. However, the structure was also abandoned. The castle has two enclosures and a tower with a circular structure.
According to some legends, the castle would have hidden underground passages that communicated with the ravines of the Los Molinos and Oscayar. It was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 1949 and in 1970, during filming on location, an Arab cemetery was discovered at the foot of the castle. In 1993, it was granted the category of Monument and has been declared safe.
Saint Sebastian Hermitage
Sanctuary of the Virgin of the Anguishes
The Virgin of the Anguishes is the patroness saint of the town. This sanctuary, which is located in the foothills of the Castle and is historicist style, was founded between the 18th and 19th centuries.
Formerly it was a cemetery and could have been a Mosque Neighbourhood.
During the carnivals and other traditional festivals of the town, the theatre serves as a location for different activities.
It was built in 1986 with exposed stone and cement. It has a capacity for 2,000 people and is used for “novilladas” in the patronal celebrations.
In the first years a heifer was released to be fought by the fans, but this tradition stopped years ago.
In these sets, films like “A Fistful of Dollars” and “For a Few Dollars More” were recorded.
Church of Our Lady of the Incarnation
It has gone through several restorations, the last one being done in 2002, in which works were carried out to reinforce the roof of the structure.
This building does have the same main door, which is a milestone, taking into account everything that the church has gone through. Other elements that have survived the fires suffered by the church and the passage of time are the crown of the Christ of Consuelo, a painting of the Virgin of Carmen, an image of the Holy Family, a parish cross, the bandolier of the Virgin of the Immaculate, and several documents that belong to the Historical Archive.
In 2006 the castle and its surroundings were restored, and at that time the Tourist Office of Tahal decided to take on one of the halls of the castle to install traveling exhibitions, and the Interpretation Centre of Towers and Castles has been installed in two other halls.
Saint Christ of Consuelo Hermitage
Church of Saint Roque (Benitorafe)
As in other ecclesiastical constructions, the church has a bell tower that served as a watchtower, from which the watchmen reported on the invasion or attacks.
The second image is a large one, which was also originally in the church but suffered burns on its back, when some candles accidentally fell on it. Later, with the help of the inhabitants, it was restored.
The third image belongs to the church, but his stay is shared with the hermitage, as it is the image used in the processions of the typical village festivities, where he leaves the church to be taken to the hermitage.
The view is even more spectacular during the winter, when you can appreciate the Sierra Nevada
covered with snow, which contrasts with the Desert of Tabernas
and its arid aspect.
Uleila del Campo
However, it is a unique feature of the building. The church has two bells and several ecclesiastical images, but all are relatively new, since those that existed were devastated during the Spanish Civil War.
Surroundings to the square are also other points of tourist interest and the daily life of Uleila del Campo
, such as the Church of Saint Mary, the seat of the City Council, and the Interpretation Centre of Traditional Work in the area.
This viewpoint allows you to have a privileged view of the Sierra de los Filabres
, the peak of Cerro de Monteagud, and the spectacular Sanctuary of the Virgin of the Head, which is nestled at the top.
Church of Saint Mary of the Assumption
The church has a completely white facade, with a single door, and is surrounded by flowers. One of the most distinctive elements of this church is its impressive tower, of great size, that surpasses the roofs of the houses that surround it.