Discover here all the localities of the Alpujarra of Almeria and know in depth all the towns of this region of Almeria.
In the 19th century there was already a steady population growth, due to the economic wealth produced by the cultivation of the Ohanes grape. The population reached its maximum level in 1857, with 2,490 inhabitants. In the year 2017, Alboloduy had 610 registered inhabitants.
It currently covers an area of 67 square kilometres and in 2017, it registered a population of 811 inhabitants. The peace and tranquility of the area, together with its incomparable landscapes, make Alcolea a town that is much appreciated by rural tourism visitors.
It established a new political and religious power that changed the face of this old Muslim farmhouse, giving it a more Christian profile.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the highest economic and demographic growth in Alhabia was reached, mainly due to the wealth generated by cultivation of the Ohanes grape. After reaching a peak, it saw a slow but continuous decline in population, and by the year 2017, Alhabia had a population of only 678 inhabitants.
Alhama de Almeria is also known as the birthplace of Don Nicolas Salmeron Alonso, President of the First Spanish Republic. In the year 2017 it had 3,653 inhabitants.
Alicun covers an area of 6 square kilometres and in 2017, it had 217 inhabitants.
Alsodux covers an area of 20 square kilometres and in the year 2017, it had 132 inhabitants. It is still a mainly agricultural town today.
Bentarique covers an area of 11 square kilometres and in the year 2017, it had 238 inhabitants.
In the 19th century, the famous Ohanes grape created an important economic development that reached its peak at the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, when the population grew to 3,000 inhabitants.
In 2017, Canjayar had 1,223 inhabitants.
Fondon covers an area of 92 square kilometres and in 2017, it had 1,002 inhabitants.
Huecija covers an area of 19 square kilometres and in the year 2017, it had 501 inhabitants.
During the 19th century there was a rapid population increase and a general enrichment of the town thanks to cultivation of the Ohanes grape, with new constructions such as the fountain and the Town Hall.
In the year 2017, Illar had a population of 374 inhabitants.
The 16th century was characterised by intense political, social and religious changes, along with the Moorish rebellion, which ended with their permanent expulsion in 1570.
In recent years, many reforms have been carried out with the aim of improving the image of the town, such as the central square and the adjacent gardens. In the year 2017, Instincion had a population of 430 inhabitants.
In the 18th century, Laujar de Andarax became a leading textile centre, with the silk and wool industries in full swing. A large number of looms, spinning wheels and a variety of machinery operated by hydraulic energy were recorded as being used in the town. After a decline in the textile industry, Laujar de Andarax became dependent on agriculture. This activity reached a most prosperous point in the cultivation of the Ohanes grape, but after this period, the buoyant economic cycle declined.
In the year 2017, the town had a population of 1,533 inhabitants.
Ohanes covers an area of 32 square kilometres and in 2017, it had 626 inhabitants.
Here you will see spectacular landscapes of chestnut trees, holm oaks, and dramatic mountain ravines.
Paterna del Rio covers an area of 45 square kilometres and in 2017, it had 364 inhabitants.
Ragol covers an area of 27 square kilometres and in 2017, had 307 inhabitants.
After the Christian conquest, the Catholic Monarchs ceded the Taha of Alboloduy to Don Sancho de Castilla y Enriquez. His heirs subsequently changed the name of Haratalgima to that of Santa Cruz.
In 2017, Santa Cruz de Marchena had a population of 678 inhabitants.
The War of the Alpujarras (1568-1570) brought with it the depopulation of Terque, together with the rest of the populations of the Alpujarra of Almeria, caused by the expulsion of the Moors from the Kingdom of Granada.
The second half of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century were characterised by the general enrichment of the area thanks to cultivation of the Ohanes grape. With the Civil War and the postwar period, a time of economic decline and population reduction began that continues to this day.
In 2017, the town had a population of 678 inhabitants.