Localities in the Alpujarra Almeriense
In Almocita, its ancient Arab history still survives, both in its streets and in its urban architecture. The history of Almocita is similar to that of the other towns in the area. In the year 1570, Don Juan de Austria arrived in Almocita to negotiate with the rebellious Moorish leaders in the Alpujarra. They celebrated peace under an oak tree in the "Cortijo del Hadid", which was subsequently renamed the "Cortijo de las Paces".
The name of Almocita derives from the Arabic language Al-Moaycata or Almavata, which means "place in between". It is precisely this locality that is located in the middle of two villages: Beires north and Padules east.
As for the economic activities of this municipality, during the Middle Ages, there was a silk industry. Worms were raised and mulberries were cultivated, though this is no longer done. In the 19th century, there was also a lead mining industry. As in many other places of the Alpujarra area, the table grape, the almond and the olive tree were cultivated.
The gastronomy of this Almerian village adapts to the resources offered by nature and climate and according to the festivities that are held during the year. Of course, Alpujarra culture becomes evident in one’s recipe book. They emphasize dishes such as fennel spottage, peeled wheat potage or chard, migas, rabbit fries or collejas omelette. For desserts, it is common to taste meringues and soplillos. During the Holy Week, there are tastings of the papajotes, prepared with flour, the potage of cod with chickpeas, the cod omelette, the buñuelos, the rice with milk and the borrachillos.