Localities in the Alpujarra Almeriense
Huecija is a town that has the most aristocratic and stately history in of the whole region. This is as a result of having been the capital of the Manor of Marchena for more than four centuries, until its extinction in the year 1833.
The name of Huecija, according to some historians, can be linked to a place-name from the Muslim period, called Güécixa or Güecija. However, its origin dates back to earlier times, as there is evidence of Roman settlements near Cerro Marchena.
The urban area nowadays in Huecija occupies a hillside landing and in it we find the inheritance of those neighbourhoods separated from each other by orchards in the Al-Andalus era, which are now appreciated in a compact way. Of course, they retain their differentiating names, such as Barrio Alto, Barrio Bajo, La Fuente, La Glorieta and others. Between the 17th and 18th centuries, Huecija was known to be of importance because during these two centuries, a fair of cavalry and other domestic animals was held annually. This tradition continued until the 19th century.
The monoculture of the Ohanes grape extended into the 19th century but came to an end as an economic activity due to the difficulties in the markets resulting from the world wars of the 20th century and the Spanish Civil War.
In current times, there are new agrarian horizons after the vine harvest has started, as new crops are grown under plastic. Citrus is given preponderance, taking advantage of the fertile plains of the Andarax river.