Localities in the Alpujarra Almeriense
The geography of this town is characterized by its ruggedness, with an irregular terrain where steep slopes abound. Illar has important hills such as Cerro del Coto, which predominates over the relief, and others around it such as Cerro del Tonto, Cerro los Grajos and Cerrico Redondo. At the time of Al-Andalus, it was located in a higher place called El Lugarejo. Illar's name comes from the Arabic word al-aliya, which means "the high one".
The first references to Illar were found during the Muslim era in the 12th century, as written by the Almerian geographer Idrisi. From the 13th century, Illar became part of the Taha of Marchena, which was the traditional fiefdom of the al-Nayar family. After the surrender of Baza and the capitulation of Almeria in the year 1489, Illar stopped being Muslim and began its Christian history.
The town is surrounded by orchards settled on the hill. Near them, you can see the ditches and channels built by the Muslims to irrigate the crops. The general aspect of this town is one of tranquillity and, as a typical image of the towns in the area, the Parish Church of Saint Anne presides over its urban nucleus.
The municipality's economy has always focused on the agricultural sector. After the prosperity that the production of the Ohanes grape brought, it evolved towards the specialization and cultivation of citrus products. Currently, a policy is being carried out that points towards a controlled start of the vineyard, which is being replaced by the apirena grape, which has no seed and is in great demand in international markets.