Water is a key element throughout the Alpujarra of Almeria. We present the most outstanding sites to enjoy this region of Almeria in all its splendor.
Saint John Baptist Church
The Saint Christ Hermitage presents a rectangular plant with a covered ship that displays a vault, being the greater chapel of square plant, with blind arcs in the lateral ones.
Buttresses are located at the ends of the façade and on the side walls, and the exterior masonry and brick walls are whitewashed.
St. Sebastian and St. Ildefonso Hermitage
However, in 1998, restoration work was carried out, and it is currently being used as an exhibition and conference room, as well as a Tourism Office.
Holy Angel Custodian Church (Darrical)
This church dates from the 16th century and it is one of the most unique and little known churches of the Alpujarra of Almeria.
In the second half of the 17th century, several improvements were made to the building and during the second half of the 18th century, the church was extended as it had become too small to serve the increase in population.
Holy Christ of Consuelo Church (Lucainena)
St. John the Evangelist Church
This is the main building of Alhabia
, which presides over the town square.
It dates from the 19th century, having been built between 1802 and 1832. Ventura Rodriguez made a design for this church in 1775, but it was never built according to its design.
The style of this church is neoclassical.
This monument is a representation of Carolina de Yedra and Rittwagen: a rural pharmacist's wife.
It is the work of sculptor Santiago de Santiago, which was commissioned by the son of Carolina de Yedra, and D. Francisco Sanchez Yedra.
It is estimated that the Alhabia
Sundial may be more than 300 years old.
Alhama de Almeria
Saint Nicholas of Bari Church
Saint Anthony of Padua Hermitage
However, in the 1950s, the tradition was taken up again with great enthusiasm by a group of neighbours in Alhama de Almeria
who, with the help of the Town Hall, managed to rebuild the old hermitage.
The hermitage of Saint John is located inside Spain Square and was built in 2007.
Built in a modern style, it is a hermitage in which you can see the image of Saint John.
The restoration that was made recently allowed builders to discover that the previous restoration was done in the year 1807.
This great waterfall construction was inaugurated on May 4, 1971.
It is located within a large area of pine trees and pine forests that allow you to fully enjoy nature.
This statue was made by Juan Carlos Cazalla Montijano, and is dedicated to the women of Alhama de Almeria
Since May 1 2003, it has been located in the middle of Cristobal Rodriguez Lopez Medical Street, in front of the Alhama de Almeria
This hermitage is also called the "Morabito de la Cruz de Arriba".
Dating from the 16th century, it is the oldest hermitage in the region.
The Cross Hermitage (Cruz de Abajo)
Our Lady of the Assumption Church
The church is in keeping with the typical Mudejar church design of the Alpujarra of Almeria. It has an unadorned bell tower that resembles an old Islamic minaret, but which in fact is built in a defensive mode of construction to represent the danger of Moors and pirates.
The hermitage is located at the entrance of the town and dates from the 19th century. It was destroyed by a flood at the end of the 19th century and was rebuilt 100 metres higher and close to the town.
It is not in keeping with the usual hermitage model in the Alpujarra of Almeria, as the hemisphere shaped cover is hidden by a simple cover of neogothic style.
This tower was built during the 19th century in the highest part of the town, and dominates the urban views.
It traditionally served as a clock for local residents when only the wealthiest bourgeois could afford to have timepieces.
Saint Francisco Javier Church
Castle of the Moors
It is situated on a hill with a flattened slope to the south that gives it unimpeded views over the three nearest towns of Beires
Currently it is in a derelict condition, with just the smallest remains of what was once a great castle. It was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest by the Council of Andalusia in 1993.
There are many legends around this monument. For example, it is said that there is a treasure inside the mountain that is a store of the taxes that were collected in the past. It is also said to be full of secret passages that lead from the castle to the foot of the mountain ... But they are only legends, as the truth was buried many years ago.
Our Lady of the Assumption Church
Santa Cruz del Voto Church
The cross had been hidden to protect it from desecration during the Moorish rebellion in 1568. It is a major hallmark of Canjayar
Although the doorway has been recently remodelled, a marble plaque on the lintel of the door commemorates its construction in 1880.
Virgin of Anguish Hermitage
Palace House of the Godoyas
This building has architecture typical of late Baroque design, with some touches of neoclassical, which shows a perfect combination of masonry and exposed brick.
Big House (Fuente Victoria)
Convent of the Augustinians
The Old Convent of the Augustinians is the most significant building in the city of Huecija
It was built in the first third of the 18th century, replacing the church that was built in the 16th century, of which there are few vestiges.
It is one of the best examples of Baroque architecture within the province of Almeria.
Church of the Annunciation
The Church of the Annunciation replaced the old church that was built in the second half of the 16th century, which was burned during the Moorish rebellion in 1568.
The church has no tower as it was demolished in the 20th century. This is because it was in a severe and dangerous state of ruin, and to make an extension of the street where it was located.
It is replenished by the Huecija
It consists of a rectangular brick built nave that is open at both ends with a series of arches.
In 1965 it underwent an extension and was restored in 2007, with a wicker roof to showcase the local artisan industry.
The parish church of Saint Ana was built in the 16th century. It was burned by the Moorish at the end of that same century and later rebuilt.
It is a Mudejar style church, constructed with a square bell tower that gives it a fortress-like appearance.
This dates from 1871 and like the other of the fountains of the Alpujarra of Almeria, it served an outstanding social function as a meeting point for all the inhabitants of the municipality.
It is a beautiful building dating from the late 19th century, with eclectic colonnades.
Saint John Baptist Church
This is located in Francisco Salvador Square, a few metres from the Town Hall.
It is one of the few churches that was not burned during the Moorish rebellion in 1568, making it one of the oldest churches in the province of Almeria (16th century).
St. Cosme and St. Damian Hermitage
This is located at the "Cerro de la Cruz" viewpoint and was built in 1842.
It is a simple hermitage typical of the Alpujarra of Almeria, and is dedicated to Saint Cosme and Saint Damian.
Laujar de Andarax
This is a magnificent neoclassical building which dominates the Main Square of Las Alpujarras, and which served as a model for the facade of the Town Hall of Berja
It was built in 1792 under the reign of Carlos IV, by the architect Francisco Quintillan Lois.
The clock is from the year 1902.
Church of the Incarnation
This was built in 1672 and because of its size, it is known as the "Cathedral of La Alpujarra".
The tower has a Mudejar style. On the main altar stands the striking altarpiece that dates from the mid-18th century.
Virgin of Health Hermitage
This place was previously the small hermitage of Saint Sebastian and Saint Barbara, but at the end of the 17th century, two hermits constructed a new building to venerate the image of the Virgin of Health, who was believed to defend the inhabitants from periodic plague epidemics.
It was finished in the year 1703.
Convent of Saint Pascual Bailon
The convent was sold in 1822, which at the time was being used as a barracks for the Civil Guard. It is currently in an unfortunate state of abandonment.
It was also the location of the provisional court of Aben Humeya, leader of the Moorish rebellion in 1568.
This is a construction from the early 18th century.
The building is of small dimensions, with a rectangular floor plan, plastered and whitewashed walls.
This fountain built in 1684 bears a stone relief with the oldest representation of the municipal heraldry: a sailing ship with a crow, which is considered an attribute of Saint Vincent, patron of Laujar de Andarax
, as well as the door of a fortress, which is related to the old citadel of the town.
This is a unique baroque fountain dating from the 17th century, which is built with a pillar of black marble and a superb contrasting nobiliary shield of white marble.
It is the coat of arms of one of the most powerful families of the Alpujarra at that time; Rodriguez Chacon y Valdivia, marquises of Iniza.
This fountain was built in 1688.
It is the most monumental fountain in Laujar de Andarax
and, despite its name, it has never stopped flowing.
Its construction dates from the late 17th century and late 18th century, and is the oldest in the area.
Its design bears some curious mask images and has a pagan appearance.
It is located in Humilladero Square.
It is a curious structure with a cylindrical-octagonal body topped by a hemisphere shape.
It dates from the 18th century, although recently it has undergone extensive restoration.
The Christian repopulation and the population growth of the 18th century led to the expansion of El Hizan, which created the current "Barrio Bajo".
In the upper part of the "Barrio Bajo", there is a fountain that despite its modernisation, retains the defining features of a typical Alpujarra fountain.
This is a magnificent example of a palatial house of the lower ranked rural nobility of the Old Regime. The heavy layer of whitewash on the facade does not prevent one from seeing the traditional Mudejar style of brick.
In keeping with the design of the time, the interior of the house is constructed around a courtyard with a columned perimeter gallery.
This house which was built in 1732 belonged to a wealthy family of hidalgos, whose coat of arms dominates the facade.
The building conforms to the standard of stately housing for the House of the Vicar, but the most outstanding feature is its magnificent portal.
House of Francisco Villaespesa
In Fuente Nueva Square is the house of the modernist poet and dramatist Francisco Villaespesa (1877-1936).
Originally from the neighbouring town of Ohanes
, Francisco Villaespesa created a large body of work. In this collection there are more than 50 poetry books and various novels, as well as theatre works.
It is a building with two towers, several altars and a sacristy built with pink marble extracted from a quarry in the "Cerro de Montenegro".
Church of Saint Mary La Mayor
This is a small Mudejar church that was originally constructed in the first half of the 16th century, but it was rebuilt at the end of the century after the destruction caused by the Moorish rebellion in 1568.
The greater chapel was crudely rebuilt before its ruin at the end of the 19th century. This was possibly caused by the effects of an earthquake.
Paterna del Rio
St. John the Evangelist Church
Its structure is typical of Mudejar church designs, with three naves separated by rectangular pillars and a main chapel.
Originally the interior of the temple was very dark, as the windows that illuminated the main chapel were made at the end of the 16th century. The windows were subsequently extended to give the interior more natural light.
The Town Hall Square is home to a very characteristic fountain of Paterna del Rio
On it you can see four stone lion figures, which reflect the majestic face of this town.
During the Civil War it was plundered of all its images, archives and objects of worship.
The church is of the simplest Mudejar church design.
Santa Cruz de Marchena
The Holy Christ Hermitage can be found on a path that takes you to farmhouses and crops located behind the municipality.
The hermitage is an unusual building and it is one of the most unique chapels of the Alpujarra of Almeria, as it is covered with natural stone.
Throughout the 19th century, it belonged to the diocese of the Archbishopric of Granada, until in the 20th century, when it was incorporated into the Bishopric of Almeria.
The Museum of Popular Writing, together with its archive, is located in the House of Yebra.
Currently, the collection comprises more than 10,000 letters and documents written by people from the province of Almeria. Among the museum's objectives is to investigate, disseminate and preserve this documentary heritage.