Pulpi covers an area of 96 km² and has a population density of 94.32 inhabitants / km². In 2017, it had 9,055 inhabitants.
Available information regarding the origins of this municipality is scarce. The first settlers of Pulpi date back to the Neolithic era, where the remains of three settlements were discovered in the margins of the Ramblas. Here there were found Argaric ceramics and knives, among other things.
During the Muslim period, Pulpi became a vital passage between the cities of Vera
and Lorca. After the conquest of the city of Lorca in the middle of the 13th century, Pulpi became a "no man's land" between the border of the Christian kingdom of Murcia and the Muslim area of Granada. This meant that no communities resided in that area for a long time.
In 1488, after the conquest of Vera
, the lands of Pulpi became part of Vera
territory, but with no protection at their border, the coastal areas were frequently visited by Berber pirates, and the distance that separated them was so great that travelling the very long road was unviable.
Between 1647 and 1652, the Council of Vera
retained ownership of these lands, which were worked by neighbors of Vera
who enhanced the definitive occupation as early as the 18th century.
During this time an economic resurgence took place, thanks to the barilla plant trade, which was operated by Maltese and French merchants who exported the products to international markets.
Due to its unique climatic and geographical characteristics, esparto has been cultivated in the same way since the end of the 18th century.
In the 19th century, the inhabitants of Pulpi requested independence for the municipality, which was granted in 1836. However, a short time later, due to lack of economic resources, they were re-incorporated into the city of Vera
After discovering silver bearing rock deposits in the Sierra Almagrera
in 1839, the demographic increase was considerable, which led the inhabitants to request their independence again. This was accepted and confirmed by Queen Isabel II.