Discover the most interesting places to visit in the Almanzora Valley region. Do not miss the places of interest in this area of Almeria.
Church of the Incarnation
The church was enlarged in 1716 and, thanks to the proximity to the quarry of the town, many of its pieces were made from marble
, which gives it an even greater beauty.
It is a particularly small church, but of great beauty, more than Renaissance works, thanks to its air of romantic architecture. It has three naves, the central being the largest and where the altar is located, as well as a Latin cross plan.
they believed that it was due to the Saint and wanted to take him to protect them, but when the cart left the town they stopped inexplicably. Unable to continue, the Hermitage of Saint Roque was built there.
The first reference we have of the Arches dates from the 17th century and refers to its use for irrigation, the same purpose for which it was used until the beginning of the 20th century. It is a structure made mainly of stone, with irregular arches of 7 and 4 metres, with a total of 44.8 metres of structure.
It is a vivid example of the rural constructions of the time in several areas of Almeria, and the importance that was given to water, both for human consumption and for animals, as well as for the irrigation of vegetable gardens. This means that it was a point of great importance, because it is a town whose historical roots have been linked to the exercise of agriculture.
Next to the “Los Caños” Fountain is a watering hole and a laundry room.
The set is supplied with the carbonated waters that come from the interior of the Sierra de los Filabres
It is a sculpture approximately 1.60 metres wide by 1 metre high, created to honour the men and women who, for hundreds of years, have worked the lands of Albanchez
It is the oldest religious building in Albox
and construction began in the 16th century, after the Reconquest of the Catholic Monarchs.
It has been recently restored and presents a baroque doorway very similar to that of the “Puras” Convent
, in the city of Almeria
Sanctuary of the “Saliente”
The Monastery of Our Lady of the “Desamparados del Saliente” is a favourite place for visitors and locals, an emblematic place of Albox
that for years has received praise for its architectural structure and unique beauty.
It has about 300 years of history, and since 1992 was declared an Andalusian Historical Heritage, being also one of the largest monasteries in eastern Andalusia.
Inside this monastery is the image of the Virgin of the “Saliente”, patroness saint of Albox
and of those who are the inhabitants of several nearby towns, who attend this shrine to pay tribute.
It is a great architectural work, whose construction reaches 2,500 square metres and which, according to legend, has as many windows and doors as days in the year. The floor of the church is a Latin cross and a large dome that frames the main altar, giving it an imposing appearance.
It was founded by the Franciscans in the 18th century at the highest point of Albox
From its viewpoint you can enjoy wonderful views of Albox
It is another chapel of the 18th century, located in the “Barrio Alto”, dedicated to Saint Anthony of Padua. In its interior there are symbolic paintings of a popular type representing the virtues (justice, strength, temperance, prudence, charity and faith).
It has been recently restored.
Ceramic remains dating back to the Arab era have been found around the tower, confirming both the antiquity of the tower and its marked Muslim influence.
It is a tower that is quite deteriorated, although in better conditions than the Aljambra Tower, which was also declared a Historical Monument under the protection of the Spanish State.
The tower, built in the vicinity of the 13th century, is of Muslim construction and is said to be a watchtower tower from which the horizon could be seen and possible attacks on the town were anticipated.
Although the passage of time has caused havoc with the construction, the site is well visited because ruins act as a reminder of the antiquity of the tower, without detracting historical significance for its connection to the history of Albox
It is located in the Llano del Espino and is dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows.
During the terrible plague of cholera in the 1864, the residents of the neighbourhood of Llano de los Olleres made the Blessed Virgin of Carmen a vow to build a sanctuary if the epidemic ceased. As it happened, those farmers made every effort to build this religious building.
It was blessed in the year 1870 and currently, due to its deteriorated condition, is in the restoration phase.
Church of Saint Barbara
It was built in the mid-19th century in El Lugarico, now Las Pocicas, and is dedicated to the virgin and martyr Saint Barbara.
It was enlarged by Bishop Rodenas Garcia in the middle of the 20th century.
Church of Our Lady of the Rosary
It is an ecclesiastical construction dating from the 18th century.
Inside you can see a very classic and simple style, with a ship covered in wood without any adornment. This church also has a chapel dedicated to the Virgin of the Rosary, patroness saint of the area.
The Tower of Ramil, also known as the Tower of the Moors, is located approximately 1 kilometre from El Hijate and is an old lookout tower or watchtower, which was used for the protection and vigilance of the town, to warn of the possibility of an invasion.
It was built in the Nasrid era, in order to be part of the protection of the inhabitants, before the continuous threats of invasion and war.
Studies have confirmed that, due to the proximity of this tower with others like that of Somontin
or Caniles, those who were in its interior communicated with the other towers through mirrors or with the use of smoke. In this way they noticed the presence of an enemy or some irregular situation.
This fountain is preserved in very good condition, framed in stone and marble
, with the pipes a golden colour.
Previously this fountain, like most of the sources of the towns, was used both to supply water to the inhabitants of the area, and to wash and serve as a watering hole for cattle.
Saint Anthony of Padua Church
The exact date of its construction is not known, but it is estimated that construction began in 1868, according to the testimonies of the inhabitants of El Hijate.
The clock tower is very similar to a maritime lighthouse, and was the site from which the watering times of the entire municipality were marked, as well as the place where the inhabitants gathered to listen to important announcements.
Adjacent to the Clock Tower is the Francisco Perez Park. The access path to the Clock Tower has been paved. This large park is ideal for the enjoyment of visitors, particularly those looking to spend some time outside.
This park, ideal for families to spend a full day, was built on land that was practically abandoned.
There, fruit trees that offer shade to visitors were planted, and playgrounds, rest areas, gardens, and green areas were installed, which give great beauty to the walk in general.
From the park you can access to the Clock Tower, where you can enjoy an old building and a wonderful view.
Armuña de Almanzora
These images are the reason for the hundreds of tourists who, each year, embark on the route of religious tourism, which has benefited so many people of Spain, and in particular of Almeria.
From this viewpoint a magnificent view is offered and it is one of the favorite places of the whole municipality for the photograph opportunities.
The tourists that visit this town usually visit several times, as it is the start of the journey to the rest of the town begins.
Bridge of the Three Eyes
It was built entirely in travertine, a very peculiar rock, which is created from calcium carbonate formations and has been particularly used as an ornamental stone in construction. This stone was already used in Roman buildings, so it is common to find it in the architecture of churches, castles, and other fortresses.
Its use began in 1894 and was closed to the public in 1984, but not before leaving fatal impressions, such as the accident that occurred in 1907 that left two people dead and multiple injured.
There are many myths and legends about this bridge, but the truth is that it still has great tourist attraction, especially because, despite the passage of time and relative abandonment in which it is located, its structure remains standing.
Within its facilities is the image of the Holy Christ of the Forest, venerated by the inhabitants of Bacares
and whose Baroque style image is a replica of the original, destroyed during the Spanish Civil War.
It has just 7 dependencies, and although it was in a state of advanced deterioration, it was recently restored, not only to improve its appearance and preserve this Andalusian historical heritage, but also to create walkways that facilitate access, so that it can be of greater interest for visitors.
Those who visit the castle can also enjoy the cistern that is on one side of it, and that was the original reservoir of water that supplied the residents of this magnificent construction.
Virgin of the Rosary Church
The temple is popular for having at least 14 images of different saints, among which is the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Immaculate Conception, Saint Joseph, the Most Holy Christ of Forgiveness, Saint Mark, Saint Anthony, among others, which makes it one of the favourite sites for religious tourism, pilgrims, and lovers of religious sculpture.
Virgin of Lourdes Hermitage
The site continued to be visited by the blessed followers of the Virgin Mary, whereas the inhabitants of the zone have spoken of the reconstruction of the same one, as well as of the accomplishment of a replica of the religious image.
It is one of the must-see sites in Bayarque
thanks to the privileged view of the town and its surroundings.
Hundreds of tourists who come to this municipality, choose the viewpoint as one of the places of interest, due to its view, not only of the town but of the mountains, which is extremely attractive and also has the perfect natural setting for photographs.
It is a natural cavity that for many years was worked by the mining sector.
It is surrounded by a fantastic natural panorama that includes, among other things, the emblematic “Fuente del Huevo.”
In this area, mining was practised from 1888 to 1973, when the mining concession in the area ended.
It is one of the tourist sites par excellence in Bayarque
, where people interested in knowing a little about the mining history of Almeria, and even by those who enjoy sport tourism and hiking because they need to take a walk to get to her.
Once there, in the first entrance, you can see outcrops of malachite, and once inside, it is a great experience, in which you can observe different rock formations and minerals.
Church of Our Lady of Sorrows
Saint Cayetano & Saint Anton Hermitage
It is a small baroque style temple, built in the 18th century in honour of Saint Idelfonso.
On both sides of its main altar rests the patrons of the town, Saint Cayetano and Saint Anton.
Almanzora Valley “Fire” Interpretation Center
In this centre, you can find references to almost everything that has to do with the life of Cantoria
and the Almanzora Valley, including relevant data about its history, culture, economy, crafts, and gastronomy
In this permanent exhibition, you can also find samples of crafts and traditional items from this area belonging to the province of Almeria.
Marquis of La Romana House
Very close to the Cantoria
Square we find a manor house that belonged to Don Pedro Caro Salas, IV Marquis of La Romana.
This building, which also belonged to the XI Marquis of Los Velez
, is a two-story neoclassical building built at the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century.
The Saavedra Theater was built in 1926, at the expense of Vicente Gimenez Saavedra, according to the commemorative plaque on one of the side doors.
It is an excellent viewpoint with stunning views of the town of Cantoria
and its surroundings.
Castle “Stone of the Old Place”
It is presumed that it could have been built between the 9th and 10th centuries, with Nasrid influence, but the information is not clear.
In the surroundings of the castle, you can also find remains of a well, an “era” and a farmhouse.
The “Alto Pulpito” Tower
Its access is not very complicated, and it is estimated that this tower, which has also been called Windmill, was used to communicate with another tower located in the “Cerro La Copa”.
This tower was intended to communicate with all the towers that were in the surroundings, to inform any attempt of invasion or danger to the sovereignty and tranquility of the town. This communication was usually carried out with mirrors or smoke.
The “Torreta” Tower
The “Torreta” is the popular name that this tower has received, but it is the Watch Tower of Cantoria
, and its function was precise to ensure the surveillance of the entire surroundings of the Cantoria
boundaries, to avoid an incursion.
It is a cylindrical construction, with a base a little thicker and well built in masonry, with three windows still visible in the structure, but with the suspicion of the existence in the past of a fourth window, which was destroyed.
Although at the moment, due to the deterioration which was created as a result of time and the attacks it has received, the tower is completely hollow inside, we can see the previous existence of three access floors, and a terrace with a sill from which, surely, the surveillance tasks.
The Parochial Church of Saint Mary is located in Old Chercos
and is a church of small dimensions, built in the 16th century, specifically in the year 1505.
Over time it has undergone several transformations, the most recent being one carried out in the 19th century.
Initially, there was a small hermitage, but this one could not shelter everyone. Hence, people now wanted a church that can accommodate everyone.
The Church of Saint Lorenzo is a modern building, rectangular in shape, with three facades and a dividing wall. It lodges the images of Saint Lorenzo and the Virgin of Fatima, as well as others of great sentimental relevance for all the inhabitants of Chercos
Fountain of Saint Lorenzo
It owes its name to Saint Lorenzo, patron saint of Chercos
. It was built in 2006. It is located at the foot of the Town Hall Square.
The engraving on the stone with the image of Saint Lorenzo stands out, as well as a relief engraving of an oak, which symbolises the name of Chercos
This Municipal Park of Chercos
was built on an area of 3,300 meters in length.
It was inaugurated on October 12, 2013, and this park is characterised by a Sevillian style cover and a statue of the Virgin of Pilar “La Pilarica” accompanied by other very emotional ornaments. Also, it has a replica of the lion's fountain that appears in the Alhambra in Granada.
Although the walls and the structure, in general, are quite eroded, this has not prevented the castle from being a protected real estate and engulfing the ranks of the monuments that have been considered part of the Andalusian Historical Heritage.
To visit it is to have an encounter with the history of Chercos
, of Andalusia and Spain in general, and like other historical monuments, its entrance is free.
It is a fantastic viewpoint, located in what was previously an “era.”
The “Piedra Labrada” or “Piedra Labrá” is a set of stone panels, on which is the engraving of drawings linked to prehistory.
It is one of the most archaeological and touristic sites of Chercos
because you can see on these rocky panels, the set of images of archaeological and monumental interest, of rock engravings.
These images represent part of the tribal life of Chercos
, sometimes overlapping one another, but undoubtedly leaving a clear expression of the presence of antiquity.
There are anthropomorphic drawings depicting warriors armed with rock art, animals such as horses, oxen, donkeys and goats, equestrians and chariots, and some figures that have a more ambiguous interpretation.
As with other Almerian towns, the church is strategically located in the heart of the area, next to the main square and the town hall, and is part of almost all the traditional activities of the town.
Each of them are sheltered and are exhibited in the Museum of Almeria
, but the importance of the cave and its interest remains intact, being visited regularly by tourists from around the world.
La Fuente Recreational Park has a picnic area and a laundry room, in addition to the natural spaces that make it one of the favorite places of locals and visitors.
The sculpture is arranged in the Rosa Galera Martos viewpoint, in honor of a woman of Fines
who was killed by her partner in 2011. The place receives hundreds of visits all year, many of who simply observe the impressive sculpture that is worthy of praise, and others who remember and honor the women who have been victims of this scourge.
It is an urban walk that extends for approximately 3,500 meters in the heart of the city.
It was installed in what used to be the railroad route that was no longer in use, and at the moment it has become one of the favorite places of the inhabitants in the area. It is also a place of frequent visits by the tourists that arrive at Fines
It is a kind of boulevard that allows access of bicycles, people on foot and even people with reduced mobility. It makes it ideal for solo walks, as a couple or a family.
It offers a magnificent view and goes hand in hand with the spirit of tranquility and calm that is breathed in the rest of the town.
Among them, you can find sculptures in homage to the great Federico Garcia Lorca, as well as other important figures of culture, art and the history of Spain.
The “Cañal” Fountain, dating back to 1877, is another of the representative works of the area, which recalls the way in which the water distribution was made in ancient times.
It is not odd to find, in some towns of Almeria fountains, cisterns and laundries. People used to meet there to collect water for their consumption, to wash, and to give water for animals to drink.
The space was recovered, in order to give a greater appeal to locals and tourists visiting the town, and a picnic area was installed in its surroundings. This allows the meeting of visitors to enjoy the view offered by the fountain.
The recovery of these spaces has been achieved thanks to the incentives of the authorities, the impulse of its inhabitants and some private organizations of the area.
The Church of Saint Ramon Nonato was built in the 16th century, almost completely with red bricks that were manufactured in the area, specifically in the vicinity of the bed of the Tejera river.
These bricks bring a bit of darkness to the construction, but at the same time it gives it an imposing and elegant look.
Its construction was ordered by the Marquis of Los Velez
, Don Luis Fajardo de la Cueva, a very religious man who also ordered the construction of other churches throughout the province of Almeria.
It is a tower that is not very high, and its construction has some myths, with the most known being when the church was almost ready, many applauded the initiative of its construction publicly and thanked all those involved except the builder, who in reaction did not finish building it.
The Parochial Church of Saint Mary was built in the 18th century under the direction of Alfonso Gutierrez and Juan Lopez de Robles.
It is said that its construction took about 10 years, completed between 1718 and 1728, which is considered a fairly short period of time when taking into consideration that the churches of some villages took up to 100 years to complete.
This church, which was originally dedicated to the Virgin of the Rosary, has a Latin cross plan covered with vaults, which is considered ecclesiastical architecture characteristic of the period and the area.
In the second half of the 18th century, some private chapels were added to the church and this undoubtedly added to the original plan of the temple. It was probably at this time that the main portico was carved, where the shield is still present, although in an evident state of deterioration.
Some of the details that adorned the chapel at that time are preserved to this day.
Virgin of Fatima Hermitage
After the mass, a procession is performed with the image of the Virgin, which goes from the ermitage to the boundaries of Lijar
, and then back.
This traditional festival does not end there, as later around the hermitage there is also a celebration in his honor, in which the whole family participates, and where dances and traditional meals are held.
It is a real architectural jewel, very well preserved and of great tourist attraction, which once again puts Lijar
in the sights of scholars, tourists and visitors.
Next to the Castle of Lijar
a tower was built, which stands at 7 meters high. This allows the tower to be seen from any point of the town, and from the tower you can access the best views of the whole town.
The inhabitants of the area, as well as the public and private institutions, have been in charge of keeping the tower and the castle in the best possible condition, as well as its surroundings, where they constructed cobblestone roads for its access, giving it great beauty.
It is a typical laundry of the Almerian villages of the Almanzora Valley.
In the past, the social life of the people revolved around these structures.
About two kilometers from the town is the Cave of the Moor, located in the ravine of the same name.
In this place there are several natural caves where time and water have formed stalagmites and stalactites. Taking the tour inside the grottos is a perfect day for the little ones.
During the 16th and 17th centuries, annexes were made to the original construction, giving this church greater size and importance.
It is a beautiful temple with three naves, built mainly with bricks, separated from each other by horseshoe arches that were later replaced with a pointed Gothic ribbed vault that is attached to the central nave through an arch.
It also has a large and compact tower with two bodies, which also functions as a bell tower.
The locals also tend to have this place as a meeting place, because it is located in a privileged spot, from which you can see the town and its surroundings.
The viewpoint is located about 933 meters high.
When visitors go to the Lucar
viewpoint, they can take the opportunity to stop at the “Santa” viewpoint.
It is just as it returns from the first, in the direction of the church and visually following the magnificent bell tower. You arrive at the door of the parish church and continue from there to the main town square, which is the Town Hall Square.
It is a small but fascinating vantage point, in which there is a marble
column, material characteristic of the villages of the Almanzora Valley, which serves as a sculpture and at the foot of which there is an inscription.
These waters have medicinal properties for different types of diseases.
The reservoir, shaped like a pool, has dimensions of 50 × 50 meters and a depth ranging from 50 cm to 2 meters. In recent years it has undergone several improvements and extensions, the last being in the year 1996.
It has become the preferred place for bathing for the inhabitants of Lucar
and the whole region, being an important point of tourist confluence during the summer months.
Saint Sebastian Hermitage
The hermitage of Saint Sebastian is located at the entrance of the town, at Marin de Poveda Street.
Saint Sebastian is the official patron saint of Lucar
From its origins to the present day the church has undergone numerous modifications in its structure, being the last restoration in the year 1992.
There are three groups of four lions, each one, united by the similarity of their features, which can be seen in the mane, nose, legs, the relief of the tail and the position in which they are.
A unique piece that tells his feet with marble
plates in which you can read the translation into Spanish of the 12 verses of the poet Ibn Zamrak, describing the same fountain.
Undoubtedly a must see in Macael
The world's largest mortar
It was installed in a roundabout in the heart of the town, as a tribute to the marble
craftsmen in Macael
. It is a unique piece, and it was made with dedication and care, which impresses those who come to know it.
Monument to the stonemason
It is a commemorative sculpture sculpted on a "mass" of white marble
, which proudly expresses the bust of a stonemason worker.
Marble Interpretation Center
Another site that is of great tourist interest is the Marble Interpretation Center.
It was created to offer locals and visitors the opportunity to understand the culture and importance of the marble
and the strong influence it has had on each aspect of its birth, development, and life in general.
In its facilities, you can see panels with inscriptions in Spanish and English, in which topics such as geological aspects, methods, and utensils used in the extraction, the characteristics of marble
, the modern extraction process and even the restoration work are exposed. Eco-friendly measures have been taken in the quarries to protect the heritage of the area.
In addition to this, the centre exhibits different pieces and elements that make the visit striking and ensure its return.
Virgin of the Rosary Viewpoint
This viewpoint is located on the top of a small mound, crowned by the Virgin of the Rosary, a sculpture prepared by D. Jose Sabiote Fernandez, in the purest and white marble
Cosentino Quarry Viewpoint
Some of the quarries that were used since ancient times to exploit the marble
and transform it are still working.
When you visit the Marble Interpretation Center, you can plan together with the specific tour guides for a possible visit to the most significant quarries that are available for that purpose.
This guided tour is fantastic, because not only will you appreciate the landscape of these quarries, you will also have a first glance of the white stone walls from which the precious marble
is detached. You can also receive first-hand information from the knowledgeable personnel of the matter, in terms of the process of extraction and treatment that gets the marble
and other knowledge about the marble
From this viewpoint, the difficulty of exploitation can be observed, as well as the technical sophistication and machinery necessary for extraction.
Olula del Rio
Inside there is an altar where the image of the Assumption of Mary rests and some religious paintings that are very interesting and striking, as well as a baptismal font made of marble
, which undoubtedly brings a unique elegance to the church.
Church of Saint Sebastian
The Church of Saint Sebastian dates from the 18th century, and is much smaller than the Church of the Assumption, but adorned by a bell tower reminiscent of its antiquity.
Christ of the Good Death Hermitage
Among the most important works are also some of the most renowned Almerian artists of the 20th century, such as Jesus de Perceval, Capuleto, Gines Parra and Pedro Gilabert.
In total, the museum has 16 exhibition halls, 14 of which are occupied by the permanent collections of the museum and the last two are used for travelling exhibitions that the museum decides to show to the public throughout the year.
It can also be seen from the walk on the Green Way of the area and was created to call attention to the town, specifically to the area where it is located, to be part of the Cultural City.
The enclave between the Green Way, the two museums and this fantastic sculpture was not made at random but had the function of generating a space dedicated to culture in Olula del Rio
It is considered as one of the 30 wonders of Almanzora, the Green Way of Olula del Rio
seems to be taken from a movie. It was built on the railroad line, which at the time fulfilled the function of taking out more expeditiously the ore that was processed in the area.
The Green Way of the Almanzora, in Olula del Rio
, covers part of the railway system that was in disuse, along approximately 35 kilometres, roughly.
It is a fantastic walk, in which a bike path has been established and which also allows access to people with reduced mobility, making it an option for the whole family. It is elegantly decorated with sidewalks and lampposts, which illuminate the road every night and provide a romantic atmosphere capable of inspiring anyone.
It was built in bricks, but not with the traditional bricks that were used in many of the ecclesiastical constructions of other enclosures that are in Almeria, but with a distinctive brick, shorter and less wide.
The church has a Mudejar style of building, with a cross-shaped floor plan and three naves, separated by arches and thick pillars.
Within its facilities rests the image of the patron saint, who during the festivities in his honour is taken in procession to the parish church and then returned to the site to which it belongs, the Hermitage.
The Old Hermitage was built on the remains of the old mosque, in the 16th century.
It was declared a Monument of Cultural Interest and is part of the Andalusian Historical Heritage since 1949. It is a place that can be visited freely, and it becomes an ideal visit to share with the family.
Thus, a viewpoint and a park were born, which visits the castle a full and fun experience, easy to access and with an unparalleled view.
This project allowed the installation of two platforms on the site where the today extinct towers of the castle were raised, so that the person who climbs on them, can have a better view of the ruins of the castle and also offers a fantastic angle for photographs, one of the favourite practices of the visitors of this tourist and historical point of Oria
Based on the same idea behind the erection of towers in the whole towns of Almeria, the existence of watchtowers was used in antiquity so that the watchmen could see any imminent danger of invasion and attacks, giving notice to other towers or the castle, so that they could repel said attacks.
From the Arab period, several watchtowers are conserved. The best preserved are those located in the “Rambla de Oria” and the Villar neighbourhood.
To get to the tower, you need to practice a bit of hiking, travelling along a dirt road of approximately 300 meters, which is on the road to the castle. There you can appreciate the ruins of this tower, built by the Muslims, and which was declared an Andalusian Cultural Heritage in 1949.
During a time, the masses in Partaloa
were carried out in a warehouse that was enabled for it, until shortly after the collapse of the old church and the construction of a new one was implemented.
In the new construction the old bell and some elements of the original church, which survived the earthquake, have been used.
This viewpoint is considered as one of the 30 wonders of Almanzora, due to its great beauty, which attracts tourists and locals since its inception.
It was built as a wooden path, which extends for about 50 meters and forms a corridor that ends in a kind of balcony that is precisely the viewpoint.
It was built in 2006 and has also been called the “Balcony of the Almanzora,” for offering a free 360-degree view of the valley in which the town is located, as well as the hamlet of Retamar and the Algarrobo hill. From this viewpoint, you can also see the Sierra de Los Filabres
and the “Tetica de Bacares”.
This viewpoint is particularly appreciated during the winter, when the view, in its beauty, is covered in white.
The Church of Saint Gines, which was consecrated to Our Lady of the Incarnation, has three chapels dating from the 18th century: the first chapel was dedicated to the Virgin of Carmen, the second was devoted to the Virgin of the Rosary and the third to the Virgin of the Dolores.
These building has been restored with several frescoes of great artistic, religious and historical importance.
The Council of Andalusia declared it a historical and artistic monument in May 1983, which served to favor in its restoration that began in 1989 and ended two years later.
Regarding the tower, which was known as “the Water Tower,” had in its interior a potable water tank, for which collection and deposit required engineering that was unusual as of that time, and that is interestingly to know.
The original construction is said to be thirteen meters high, but the remains that remain only reach half of that measure.
The existence of a railway line meant that, suddenly, the life of the entire region revolved around it and the economy began to flourish. Its closure was formally carried out in January 1985, after declaring that the section was not very profitable.
As part of the historical legacy of Purchena
, it was decided to recover the old station.
At about 1,000 meters above sea level is the beautiful and symbolic viewpoint of La Silveria.
It is a viewpoint in which there is also a pleasant and comfortable space to enjoy natural life. The viewpoint has locations for picnics, tables, chairs, and benches, where you can spend a family day.
Church of the Annunciation
This 17th century building was declared a National Historic-Artistic monument in 1983.
Its interior is rectangular, consisting of three areas separated by slender pillars that give the building a noble appearance. Its covers have the sober classicism design of the first baroque era and they are crowned with the shield of the Portocarrero Bishop.
This is a neoclassical construction of the 19th century: rectangular with a single nave, which has a very austere exterior and an interior of great simplicity and beauty.
It is located in the Square that bears his name and in its main chapel is the image of the patroness saint of Seron
: the Virgin of the Remedies.
Real Street is the main road that surrounds the historic center of Seron
, and it is made up of a labyrinth of narrow and intricate streets with fascinating twists and turns.
In this street we can find several stately homes with magnificent facades that were built between the late 19th and early 20th century. These are constructed in styles ranging from neoclassical to the modernist, as well as neocolonialist style.
After the closure of the mines in 1968 it was completely abandoned. It was then restored in recent years as a tourist center with a visitors center, geominal interpretation center, camping area, an apartment hotel and a forest park with native trees and shrubs. These facilities enable people to discover the mining history of the area and the environmental characteristics of the Sierra de Los Filabres
According to technicians at the Ministry of Environment of the Council of Andalusia, the Millenary Oak is the largest tree in Andalusia and one of the oldest of all cataloged to date.
It is an example of enormous beauty that reaches about 19 meters high. It is located in the Loma Valley, on the northern slope of the Sierra de los Filabres
It is located near the Virgin of the Head Hermitage and is a privileged place to contemplate all the beauty of the Almanzora Valley.
From this viewpoint you can see the Almanzora river
, as well as its fertile plain and the large number of crops that grow on it.
This is a natural spring of warm water located next to the neighborhood of Fuencaliente.
Near the source, in the environment of the Green Way, we find Fuenteperica, a small recreational area with another water resource.
In the municipality of Seron
is La Jordana picnic area, located about 5 km away from the city center. It is an environmental facility equipped with a rest area, barbecue facilities, a park, etc.
In the surroundings of the picnic area you can enjoy picturesque landscapes, where you cannot miss the opportunity to walk through the surroundings, or even take a hiking route.
Church of Saint Sebastian
The church of Saint Sebastian of the present time is a catholic temple of neoclassical style. This construction is located in the heart of the town, as is common in most of the towns, next to the town hall and the town square.
Among the findings are coins, iron slags, weapons and lead, all related to the date on which the castle is asummed to be operative. In the castle there are also the remains of a cistern, the walls, the tower and a cemetery.
It is of great historical, architectural and cultural value, for it has been declared a Protected Heritage.
This viewpoint attracts tourists and locals who come to enjoy the Castle and the view from this point, which is also relatively recently constructed, so it is in an excellent condition.
Inside this church, there are two images of great value for the people and the parishioners. It is about the image of the Virgin of Sorrows and Saint Sebastian “El Chico.” Both images survived the burning of the Saints, which took place during the Spanish Civil War.
Fountain of Saint Sebastian
you can still find the Fountain of Saint Sebastian, where there are two pipes that even today still flows from the bowels of the mountain, which has a peculiarity that many approaches to check: during the winter the water comes out warm, and in summer it comes out cold.
The name of Balcony of Almanzora was granted to it by Francisco Villaespesa, who was amazed by the sight of the place and gave it the name above, with which it is popularly known.
As in the case of fountains and pipes, public laundries are common in the towns of Almeria.
Several studies have been carried out on this phenomenon, concluding that in fact, the importance of the laundries lay mainly in the supply of water for different tasks, in this case for the cleaning of the clothes, but without a doubt they generated an effect that it allowed the inhabitants of the villages to solidify and build their social relations with the neighbors.
It is a rectangular building, with a single nave, an altar and a choir at its feet. The ship, although of simple characteristics, counts on walls of high altitude that is divided thanks to the use of columns that form a corridor that is the one that delimits the church of the vestry.
It is a small building with a simple front facade, which is accompanied by a small bell and classical picturesque.
You can also find places to sit and enjoy without haste of sight, cobblestone roads, wooden benches, and railings.
The Fountain of Sufli
is not just another source of the town, but a whole series of recreational and social activities revolve around it, which has made it a place of great tourist interest for locals and visitors.
This is the "Paraje de la Fuente", which is located on the outskirts of the town, in an area that has been specially enabled for excursions, free meals and recreational, sports and social activities.
It was the public fountain attended by the inhabitants of Sufli
to supply water for consumption, washing, and irrigation of crops and water intake of livestock.
It has Masonic inscriptions and was rebuilt in 1882 on the original pipes, which were in the area, installed by the Muslims when they occupied the territory.
It is estimated that the construction of this hermitage dates from 1846 to 1897. It is a small and picturesque building that quickly attracts the attention of those who travel nearby, due to its small size and its church form.
It is a small temple in honor of the Holy Calvary, also located in a privileged situation, since it is located in a natural viewpoint, offering a wonderful view to those who come to know it.
This hermitage is part of the pilgrimage and procession of the Calvary of Holy Friday from the origins of the town and continues to be the main center of the collection of offerings to the patron saint, Saint Joseph of Taberno
Even if someone wants to stop the virgin at the door of his house, he must pay to stop and also pay to continue.
This money is used to pay for repairs to the church, improvements in the image, etc.
It is one of the places that you cannot miss when you arrive in Taberno
, to appreciate first hand all those objects linked to the antiquity and the origins of this town.
The center has three main spaces, the reception, the exhibition area and the "Memory of a people" space. In this last room is the important donations made by the residents of Taberno
, which have great historical and archaeological significance.
This mill worked until the mid-20th century, so it is in a perfect state of preservation.
The exhibition allows us to know in depth the process of olive oil extraction that was carried out since ancient times in Taberno
and other towns.
The Parochial Church of Saint Mary, built and dedicated to this Virgin who is the patroness saint of Tijola
, is an architectural structure of great beauty. It is estimated that it was built between the 17th and 18th centuries, with a Franciscan style that has been discovered over the years.
Although this style can not be seen with the naked eye, underneath the layers of lime covering the walls live remains of decoration with black and red filigree, which is characteristic of the church buildings of this order.
Virgin of Socorro Hermitage
This hermitage has a Roman cross plan, also with a facade, with a dome and the tower covered in marked elements that reminds others of Mudejar style buildings.
In its interior elements characteristic of the late Renaissance churches can be seen, although it is possible to be said that it is quite simple, especially when we observe the altarpiece of pine wood and the columns that were covered.
Its most important element is the image of the Blessed Virgin of Socorro, who is said to have arrived from Italy in 1498 and has been sheltered during all this time.
Saint Sebastian Hermitage
It is located in the neighborhood to which it gives its name. This Hermitage, since 1578, has been dedicated to the patron saint of the town.
The hermitage suffered damages during the Civil War, in which it was used as a prison, destroying the image of Saint Sebastian. In 1943, the Board of Directors of the Brotherhood restored the image, which can be seen inside today.
This was the first church of the town, later becoming the hermitage of the Virgin of Fatima.
It is located in the oldest part of the town and inside it is a small image of the Virgin of Fatima, which, every May 13th, goes out to walk in a beautiful procession along the long colored sawdust carpets that become the streets of Tijola
This is located on the outskirts of the urban area, in the area called "El Rulaor".
Its origin dates back to the 19th century.
Inside is Jesus Salvador, a classic and simple image of 1942, that came from Madrid to replace the original image, which was destroyed in 1936.
Mary Help of Christians Hermitage
The Hermitage of Mary Help of Christians, located in the neighborhood of Cela, dates from 1919.
It is located next to the fountain and was built, on its grounds, by the Aynat family.
The old train station is charming and full of history, and is located less than 1 kilometer from the heart of the town.
The station is located on the Almanzora Green Way and next to the station you can also find an old train, which was once the same route that reached that station.
The Parish Church of Saint Mary dates back to the 16th century.
In its façade we appreciate a single bell tower and the base of another, with the idea of being able to continue bulding it in the future. Majestic, stately and solemn, the Church of Saint Mary is known throughout the Almanzora Valley for being a place of worship to Saint Blas, which celebrates his onomastics every February 3rd and where his relic resides.
From this point you can see almost all the towns belonging to the Almanzora Valley, as well as enjoy the winding of the Almanzora river
This viewpoint has been carefully constructed to offer visitors a pleasant experience and the greatest enjoyment, although it can affect the most susceptible to heights, as it can cause vertigo.
One of the curious facts is that the inhabitants of Urracal
never allowed the deterioration of the cross, even when it was made of wood, and they changed it before it showed signs of damage, to predict a good harvest in the year.
At the point where the cross is located you get a wonderful view of the mountains and the valley, being able to appreciate the most important peaks and many of the most emblematic towns of the Almanzora Valley.
It is located almost at the entrance of the town, near the main street of the same, and to this day is still part of the infrastructure used to achieve the use of water, especially for irrigating the gardens of the area.
Created in 1947, it is a fairly well-kept and up-to-date space, which was built before there was a water distribution and sanitation network, to ensure that the inhabitants had easy access to water.
However, because the river has been contained to prevent flooding of nearby towns, the Strait has been cleared and you can still enjoy the view and the walk.
Due to its late construction, specialists have defined the style of this church as Neo-Mudejar.
It was built between 1874 and 1878 and it is home to the Virgin of the Calvary, who appeared to a shepherd on the mound of Calvary, in the same place where the hermitage is located.
The dimensions of the Hermitage are small, so it only has five rows of benches on each side. One the last Sunday of each month a mass is celebrated in the Hermitage.
The old train station has a great historical importance, besides being a place loaded with great beauty and much nostalgia.
The passage of the train through this town, as well as other towns of Almeria, represented an economic growth that undoubtedly was affected when it was closed in 1985.